Sunday 24 January 2016

Further experiments in quiche

The quiche Lorraine with added broccoli was good,  but I was looking for something a little bit more interesting for my new niece's naming day. I found pictures of this carrot and courgette tart,  but no recipe, so I've had to make it up as I went.  It's actually worked out pretty well,  but it could use a bit of refining.

As an added bonus I got to buy some new kitchen toys;  a mandolin, which I've wanted for ages,  and a large flan case,  which I really needed.

I used the rest of the pastry from the last set of quiches and blind baked in the same way. 

I then took two courgettes and two carrots, peeled them and used the mandolin to slice them into long thin ribbons.  These were used to layer in alternative ribbons around the flan case to create a flower effect.  This could probably be neatened up on a second attempt by trimming the vegetable slices to a more similar widths.

For the filling I used the same two large eggs, 250ml single cream combined with a bit of salt and pepper as last time,  but this time I added in 150g of finely grated pecorino.

Bake for 30-40 minutes at 180C, or until set and golden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment